Cheeseburger Mac + Cheese
This easy weeknight dinner is from FamilyCircle, and having made it twice now, you will go for seconds. It's a simple dish that hits most notes, the mac and cheese part, and the ground beef part. Now that we have two teenagers with us, the plates have been cleaned. I have had all the ingredients already, except the tomatoes, so the picture will not show them.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard (or dijon mustard)
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 can (12oz) evaporated milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 plum tomatoes, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp seasoned bread crumbs
- Heat oven to 350. Coat a 2-qt oval baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boiling. Add pasta and cook, 10 minutes, as per package directions. Drain.
- While pasta cooks, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sirloin, breaking apart with a wooden spoon. Cook 6 minutes, until no longer pink. Season with 1/4 salt and pepper. Remove from heat and stir in ketchup and mustard. Transfer to a bowl.
- Return skillet to medium heat and add butter. Once melted, whisk in flour, then add milk in a thin stream. Bring to a simmer and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in remaining 1/4 tsp salt and 2 cups of the cheese. Stir in pasta. Pour into prepared dish. Top with meat mixture, remaining cheese, sliced tomatoes, and bread crumbs. Spritz with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Increase heat to broil and broil for 2 minutes.