KIELBASA + MASHED POTATOES
The broccoli and sauerkraut, even the kielbasa, for this dish are the sideshows to the amazing mashed potatoes. The mustardy delicious potatoes go well with really any type of German sausages or Irish bangers, and this was such an easy and quick weeknight dinner.
The recipe is from Food Network Magazine, October 2013.
- 1.5 lb small Yukon gold potatoes, halved
- 1 lb kielbasa
- 1.5 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 small head broccoli, florets roughly chopped
- 1 cup sauerkraut, drained
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 tbsp whole-grain mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Put the potatoes in a large microwave-safe bowl and add 3 tbsp water; cover with plastic wrap and microwave until tender, about 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut kielbasa into 4 equal pieces; halve lengthwise. Melt 1/2 tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the kielbasa and cook, turning occasionally, until browned and heard through, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
- Increase the heat under the skillet to medium high; add the remaining 1 tbsp butter. Add the broccoli and 1/4 cup water and cook, stirring, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add the sauerkraut and toss to warm through.
- Drain the potatoes. Warm the milk in the microwave, about 1 minute; add the potatoes along with the mustard, 1/2 tsp salt, and pepper to taste. Coarsely mash with a potato masher or fork. Serve the kielbasa with the potatoes and the broccoli.