MOROCCAN CHICKEN THIGHS
This dish is quite tasty, but the amount of both apricots and chickpeas are overwhelming. From Cooking Light, it is a fun recipe, serving it alongside some couscous, and you will have quite a treat. I recommend, however, cut the amounts of apricots and chickpeas in half and it will be more balanced. Quick note: you have to simmer for 1 hour, plus other preparations, so give yourself some extra time. This recipe makes 8 servings.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 lb skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 2 cups thinly sliced yellow onion
- 1 tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 (15.5oz) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (7oz) pkg dried apricots, halved
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add half of the chicken to pan; cook 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove chicken from pan. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Add onion to pan; saute for 3 minutes or until tender. Add ginger and next 6 ingredients (through garlic), sauté for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Stir in broth, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Return chicken to pan; bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from pan with a slotted spoon; cool slightly. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Add chicken, chickpeas, and apricots to pan. Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.